I have a few pieces of exciting news! Firstly, I have a completed prologue of my story! PROGRESS!
Secondly, I have some awesome and important tips about an extremely crucial topic: Character creation!!
Character creation is something I have always struggled with. It's an incredible challenge to not only create multiple characters, but then to give them backstory, depth, and, most importantly of all, relationships to the other characters. It's important that all characters are connected to each other somehow - either literally or symbolically.
I have a few awesome sources from around the interweb that have helped me greatly:
- This AWESOME character creation worksheet by Anne Olwin can really help you get out the little details and important relationships of your characters: http://anneolwin.com/images/design/free%20stuff/Character%20Development%20Worksheet.pdf
- Shallee McArthur has an amazing writing blog (a thousand times better than mine) with endless guides to anything you need regarding writing: http://shalleemcarthur.blogspot.com/2011/01/writing-process-creating-characters.html
- Are you a visual person? If so, there's this amazing thing called Hero Machine where you can spend hours creating your character and customizing them to your satisfaction. The link for the main website is here (it's a comics blog). If you want it short and simple, use Hero Machine 2.5, but if you want super advanced (and significantly better), use Hero Machine 3 beta.
I made a character a long time ago using Hero Machine 2.5, and here's how it turned out:
(My favorite part is the puffy pants. So cool)
Not bad, eh? The creator has gotten even better since then, so it's time for an update!
*Warning, you will probably spend hours of sleepless nights creating awesome looking things.
And it's not just for fantasy characters, you can create just about anyone and anything you desire. I even made an undercover spy/postman once. And a crazy cat lady.
If you have any other questions about characters, guides, or general tom foolery, comment or send me a message! I'd love to hear from you!
Before you go, I have a few announcements:
- If you'd like to read my prologue, there will be a temporary tab next to "Helpful Links" where you can read it. It won't be up forever, so read it ASAP! I also appreciate feedback, so please comment!
- There will be a new fanart tab up soon. I'm not a great artist, but I can't help creating maps, symbols, characters, and drawings for my story. It helps greatly with the creation process. I will have a new page displaying this art, and if you or anyone you know would like to create fanart for me, I would be beyond honored! Let me know :)
"People of accomplishment rarely sat back and let things happen to them. They went out and happened to things."
- Leonardo da Vinci
Book Working Title: Azhar, Prince of Red Fire
Day in Progress: 4
Words Achieved: 382
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/90DayAvocado