7/14/12

Day 37: History


Today I went to a Cleopatra exhibit.


Have I ever mentioned how much of a history nerd I am? I live for history. And because of it. Which is why I think it's really important to incorporate history, or something inspired by history, into your story, no matter the genre.

(So the question is - what is a lowly Renaissance history major doing with writing and fantasy and all of that?)

(See look! History and fantasy go hand in hand! Picture by Leonardo da Vinci)

.
.
.

(Thinking of the uselessness of my degree is making me cry).

My current story is completely fiction - a fantasy adventure. Yet all of the characters and cultures of my story are directly inspired by history: The main character is Arabian, and lives in a sandy dune-filled desert with bazaars and belly dancers and a god with a gold arm (look it up). Another character is based off of ancient Sparta, with a spear and a round phalynx-inducing shield and a warrior's mentality. Another is based off of norse mythology and culture, leading barbarian-like people on raids for the sake of their survival. But there's a lot of fantasy ibued within it as well, of course. For example, the norse people are also elven. Go figure.

I think it's hard to NOT be inspired by history in some way. It's shaped everything we know - history, society, culture, even an understanding of things we don't know about (life after death? Deities? Animals having souls?)

(Bacchus, the Party God, as sculpted by Michelangelo Buonarotti)


Fantasy and science fiction are two of the most important genres in the world, in my opinion. Because they reflect our history and our society. It's okay to incorporate past or present politics and other issues into stories. Because that's what makes a statement. That's what gets a successful message across.


Fantasy represents how the world should be. Science fiction represents how it can be.





"All our knowledge has its origin in our perceptions."

                                                                                            - Leonardo da Vinci



Book Working Title: Knights of Kethyria

Day in Progress: 37

Words Achieved: 5,887

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/AvocadoPolymath
--



No comments:

Post a Comment